Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Fun Stuff!

I was warned that Winter quarter would be extremely intense, and it is!  I'm enrolled in several extensions or previous courses, namely 256b "Mobile Music" (iPhone programming), 220b "Compositional Algorithms, Spatial Processing, and Psychoacoustics", 192b "Advanced Sound Recording Technology", and 250b "HCI Design and Performance Systems for Music".  I'm also taking my first course with the great Julius Orion Smith III AKA "King Nerd" AKA "The Janitor".  The course is Music 420 "Signal Processing Models in Musical Acoustics".  In other words, Physical Modeling.  Julius is sort of the king of audio DSP.  He writes, books, lots of books.  I've read two of them (1, 2) for the intro to DSP course, and this course is based on this one.

The quarter is already well underway and we hit the ground running, with a rocket strapped our backs.  So far I've created some music based on cellular automata, written three iPhone apps, designed a spherical midi controller (images soon to come), and learned a thing or two about physical modeling.

1 comment: