Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Quick Reflection, and some music

The MST has been keeping me extremely busy.  I can count on one hand the number of hours I spent relaxing last week.  Saturday I spent the entire day writing code for the next 256a assignment (a sound visualization application) and Sunday I spent most of the day doing DSP homework (working out DFTs by hand, proving theorems, analyzing spectral leakage).  Another project (for 250) was using data from the iPhone's accelerometer gathered over wifi to create some music.  I stayed up almost all night last Thursday working on a piece I call "Roil." Roil.m4a.  I've also been messing around with sensors (potentiometers, piezos, force sensing resistors, flex sensing resistors, accelerometers, photocells, and encoders [my favorite]) using the Arduino.  I've found 220a (intro to computer music) and 192a (recording technology) to be rather boring so far since I covered most of these topics in my undergrad, but these aren't particularly time-consuming so I'm glad to be solidifying my prior knowledge through repetition.  Also, 220 involves homework assignments using ChucK, which is forcing me to make use of that awesome language.

No comments:

Post a Comment